Sunday, November 17, 2013

Topbox November 2013 Review!

Well, I guess it's time for another Topbox review. I hope I'm not starting to sound too broken-recordish with these things, but another month brings another collection of free samples that I paid $13 for, so...

Your face! Your beautiful face! What have they done to you???
This first item is actually pretty interesting. While at first glance it appears to be a (mafia-themed?) nail polish called "hi'tter Don", it is actually just a really banged-up bottle of Butter London "Come to Bed Red" nail polish.

This is my surprise bonus item. I paid $10 for it as an add-on this month. The promo email from which I ordered it promised "a full-size luxury product at 25-90% discount." Considering this item retails for $17, I have to begrudgingly admit that Topbox has met their promise on this one. I will, however, deduct good-will points for the fact that this is clearly damaged stock, which the company would have been unable to sell at full retail price. I'm curious to know if anybody else who purchased a bonus item received damaged/dented stock. Interesting revenue stream if they can make it work. It won't look too nice on my display rack, but I like that this is a high-demand new colour (currently sold out on nailpolishcanada.com). Well done, Topbox!

I'm not sure how to use this, but I will look it up someday.
Okay, truthfully, it will end up dusty and forgotten at
the bottom of my junk cosmetics drawer.
This pretty blue box contains my "replacement item". You may recall that I was double-"gifted" when, 2 months in a row, I received that crap-tastic tinted moisturizer. After I published last month's blog, I sent Topbox an email to complain about getting a repeat of the same product. They apologised and promised to send a bonus extra in this month's box. This "serum" isn't on the product card, but it was tossed in alongside everything else, so I'm assuming it is here for replacement purposes. I literally have no idea how to use it, or what value it brings to me. I haven't even opened it to see what's inside. Could be a "can of snakes" joke for all I know. I accept full responsibility for this. I know I can google it. I just. don't. care.

Does anybody want a snake oil serum sample? Maybe I'll put it in Dylan's stocking for Christmas!





Ugh. 
So, this is the first item from the actual, regular Topbox.

In a cruel joke by Topbox pack-masters (or cosmic retribution for all the wrongs I've done, depending on your point of view), it is another tinted moisturizer!

This one, however, is a different brand from the ones I received double of in September and October, so there's that. Still worthless to me, though. Still available to you, dear reader, for free at cosmetics counters across the land.


Like a sad cat that keeps showing up on your back doorstep in the rain. 

Does this look familiar to you? It does to me! Know why?

Because it is the EXACT SAME SAMPLE I got last month!

Topbox claims not to repeat products. They were very kind and apologetic about last month's repeat, and then they kick me in the teeth with another one!

Still "Sample. Not for resale".
Still ugly colours for me.
Still not gonna use it.

Booooo.

Where my dry-skin ladies at??
When you sign up for Topbox, you complete a "beauty profile" that outlines your colouring, skin-type, preferences, and so on. If comments on the Topbox facebook page are to be believed, it would seem that the profile is for decorative purposes only. Many gals complain of getting colours and products that are really not appropriate for them.

This is my entry into that category. It is an oil-cleanser. It is designed for people with dry skin to remove their make-up. My skin is normal-oily, so I would rather sleep with my make-up on than put this (for me) nocturnal zit-multiplier anywhere near my face. Profile-shmofile, right Topbox?

Smells like teen spirit
Here is my last Topbox item for this month: a tube-shaped perfume sample.

The perfume is really fruity-floral, and, like the last perfume sample I got, it seems like a scent that is much more appropriately worn by teenagers.

Why can't I get a Tresor sample like some other lucky ladies???

At least I know lots of teenagers, so I can easily find someone to pass this one along to.

Kind of a waste for me, though. Sigh.

So, that brings me to the end of another scathing blog about the disappointment materialized that Topbox has come to represent for me. Sadly, I will be cancelling my Topbox subscription this month. I will do one more blog (on December's box), and then I AM DONE!

I still want to blog, though, so I'm taking suggestions! Does anybody have ideas for regular blog features that would be fun to write and not waste $13 every month? I will still do random posts about nail tutorials and other things I can think of. I would really like to do a series of some sort, though. Please let me know if you have any ideas...

Did anybody else pay for a bonus product this month? What did you get? Was it damaged beyond retail presentability? Let me know in the comments!

Thanks for reading! xoxo

10 comments:

  1. I used to go for regular Topboxes but lately the products didn't "wow" me one single bit so I switched to prive boxes for the past couple of months. Even though it takes the fun out of opening the boxes that month, but at least I know the products I'm getting and will use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! It's the surprise factor I want, but the Prive boxes seem to offer way better value...

      Delete
  2. aw :( sorry to see that your box wasn't what you wanted! I agree with all the "not for sale" items, it's really irritating. It's especially irritating because they say that they put deluxe samples in there. I'm going to switch to Ipsy like I said in my blog. I'm sure it'll be worth our money there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah!! But then I won't be able to write bitchy complaining reviews, lol...

      Delete
  3. which cleansing oil did you receive? At least one of the shu uemura oils is actually for normal-oily skin. Oils are good for oily skin - can actually stop the skin from producing excess oils.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up! Your comment and the one below inspired me to google it, and it looks like that's the one I got :) I will try it tonight!!

      Delete
  4. Oh no; my shu uemura one is for oily skin -- its pink! Check again :)

    But I totally agree that this box was "interesting." I never want lipstick samples like that again. Haha. Thanks for stopping by my blog and I love your humour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - that's the one I got! I'm going to give it a try tonight...it seems weird to me to take off make-up with an oil instead of washing, but I will try really hard to get over that, lol... Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  5. I love your comment about the nail polish- that is just too funny!
    The cleansing oil is really nice- if you use a lot of sunscreen or makeup I find oil works better before using another soap to clean my face.
    But the Shu oil, I really like it and wish it was not so high priced!
    I still like Topbox, I like trying tinted moisturizers and use those half the time....
    prettytastyreviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete